For optimum use of Diamond Wire, Aria Diamond Wire Co. has supplied detailed operating instructions to reduce wire consumption & other expenses.
Always make a note of cuts and their characteristics made with a given length of wire:
- type of cut (vertical, horizontal, squaring…)
- length of cable
- sawing speed
- number of m2 sawn
Never begin cuts on sharp corners.
Never begin cuts on sharp corners. Round them off, if this is not possible, manually help the wire to round them off. Possibly make use of the return flywheels which solve the problem in the most rational way. So start up the machine only after having pulled the wire with your hand, you are sure that it slides fairly freely. Even when rounded, corners still have a too small curve radius and so the wire must not be overloaded until there is a gentler curve on the material to be cut. At this point you can gradually increase the tension toad on the wire.
The first rail of the machine
The first rail of the machine must kept off from the working face at least 4 meters as shown in figure below:
- For horizontal cuts, its useful to use guide pullies in entrance and exit points of wire in the block.
- In the case of stop cutting let the wire to work without tension some minutes, it causes penetration of wire to down and prevents of Wire jam in the case of block movement.
- If the Wire affected with very strong vibrations, stop advance movement, it will return to normal condition.
- In large cuts, it’s better start wire with a fixed pulley on the stone. As long as the corners to be rounded. it’s reduces Wire friction on the stone.
- It’s very important to distinguish the main direction of stone in Granite quarries. You can cut a triangle piece of stone and find the main direction of it. Another method is cutting stone in some different directions and note times for each. The shortest time is in the main direction of stone.
- Water spraying of Diamond Wire for Granite is an essential ,criterion for good sawing, Water is used for wire cooling and removing the dust produced during cutting, Depending on the kind of stone the water flow rate to be provided is between 3 to 12 lit/min. If the water flow was less than need wire will burn. If water flow was more than need, wire will slide on stone and it can’t cut well.
- Number of water feed points, depends on cutting direction, Use cupper pipes and places them on the cutting line. Increase water spraying when the wire passes from soil, because soil, components increase wearing ratio of wire.
- Use the maximum length of wire that is possible. It increases wire life time . If you use less than 25 meters length of the wire the pressure on the beads will increase and rotation of wire about itself will not happen well and wire will not be cooled well so coning of the beads will happen and beads will loosed and it will break finally.
- Nearly 40% of the used wire for cutting must be engaged with stone and remaining part of it must be free, so cooling and rotation of the wire about itself would be easily done. Foe example if used wire is 40 meters long , about 15 meters will be engaged and the remaining 25 meters must be free.
For rubber injected wires, twist wire about itself in counter clock wise direction 1 to 3 revolution per meter depending on working face conditions. To apply pre-torsion to the cable causes rotation of beads and wear profile of beads will be regular.
- When you are obliged to use less than 15 meters length, of wire because of the working face condition, don’t use new wire. In this case, wire will not rotate about itself perfectly, so that Diamond beads will wear in one side.
- The beads wearing profile must be regularly inspected to avoid ovalisation, coning, and destruction normal shape of the beads .If beads, have oval shape the cutting speed had been low and speed of rotator pully must be increased.
- For rubber injected diamond wires apply the cutting in normal procedure at first, for 1.5 hours. If you felt beads are worn in, one side because of wrong application, open the connection and rotate the wire in opposite direction. Join ends of wire with crimp bush together and apply cutting for 1.5 hours in this way. Do this, action regularly to control the wearing profile of beads.
- Prevention of wire breakage is very important. So connections must be regularly checked, change them in case of defect. It is very important in quarries with natural possibility of block motion.
- The connections must be changed whenever excessively high wear of the adjacent beads is noted and whenever it is necessary to apply pre-torsion to the cable.
Never finish a cut with a Diamond wire that you hope to reuse. It is a good rule to halt cutting when about 1 m2 of material remains to be cut. Replace the Wire in use with an older one still in a good mechanical condition and when reach a diameter of 40 to 50 cm. reduce, wire tension to the minimum.
- Don’t use wire for large cuts when beads diameter is less than 9.5mm. It cuts very slowly. It’s better to use this wire for small cuts at the end of block cutting and for squaring the block.
- Never use wires made by connecting wires of different types because this provokes vibration and shock on the wire, with consequent probable breakage. The same problem can happen even with wires of the same type one is new and other partially used.
- Cleaning the cutting line 20 cm. in each side of wire prevents from entrance debris to the gap that causes wire jam.
- During the sharpening of a new wire, the linear speed must be reduced by 2 to 3 m/sec relatives to the kind of stone.
- There is an optimum linear speed for each kind of stone, to find it start from low linear speed (20-22 m/sec) and then increase it gradually and check beads sometimes. If beads are polished, that means wire doesn’t cut, so decrease the linear speed.
- Wash the wire with water after work. Don’t use another protector for coated wires but keep spring fitted wires under oil after drying.
- Never stand behind the wire during cutting. It ‘s clearly dangerous.